Backlinks – 3 Dozen Ways to Get Them – For Beginners and Pros Alike
September 23, 2022
In this post, we’ll bring some understanding regarding backlinks and provide lots of great ways to establish them (many of which are FREE).
By definition, backlinks are simply links from other sites that direct people back to your website. Sounds fairly straight-forward, right? Well, not all backlinks are created equal. I’ll explain what I mean, but first let’s look at how they came into being so we REALLY understand their purpose for business.
It all started with the inventors of Google and a concept called page ranking; these were really smart guys, one of which was Larry Page (very appropro last name, don’t ya think?). In March of 1996, they came up with a way to grab information on the web then use statistical formulas or algorithms to measure the popularity of a website in order to assign it a ranking score.
In this magic formula of winning the popularity contest, both quantity AND quality matter. In other words, the number of links pointing to your site is important. But, also links coming from high-ranked sites to yours is like striking gold for increasing your traffic because of how the search engines notice your site AND give it the thumbs-up. Let me explain.
Pages are ranked with a score from 0 to 10. Sites such as Google and Yahoo are 10s, of course. Sites like Ezines and HubPages are ranked around 5. Most blog sites rank, on average, between 1 and 3. Sites that have higher page rank are deemed as more important and credible to the “webcrawlers.” So, you see, getting some “breadcrumbs” sprinkled to your site from one of the big enchiladas is a very good thing – appetizing for search engines (very smart but very picky eaters). At the end of the day, lots of high quality backlinks to your site increases your availability or easy access on the web, thus SEO (search engine optimization).
Some Great Ways To Build Backlinks
1. You can buy links from places like TextLinkAds.com
2. Make a few freebies available and call-to-action that takes them to your site.
3. Provide a short multiple-choice quiz (keep it to 1 or 2 questions).
4. Get a Twitter account with your websites listed there; very important to design a background different from the standard ones Twitter provides.
5. Use methods of automating your Twitter, like Twibs, TweetDeck and HootSuite.
6. Start a debate with someone on Twitter who has thousands of followers – be very careful to remain polite and professional throughout the process.
7. Get your business on Google Places.
8. Reveal the top-ten blogs of the week on your site.
9. Provide a huge list of resources.
10. Place classified ads – two free sites are Craigslist and BackPage.com.
11. Submit your blogs and articles to directories.
12. Write reviews on services, products, large companies and well-known people.
13. Retweet content that belongs to experts in your niche..
14. Send website owners compliments or testimonials (be genuine).
15. Do reviews regarding your niche on Amazon.
16. Link your sites to each other (also direct with or without the www in your URL and vice versa).
17. Get your own YouTube channel and post your videos there with descriptions.
18. Post your videos on sites like MetaCafe, DailyMotion, Vimeo and Viddler.
19. Add content to you blog on a regular basis (at least twice a week).
20. Create a Fanpage on Facebook separate from your personal profile (very important).
21. Post helpful comments on other people’s Fanpages and blogs.
22. Write a newsletter that goes out on a regular basis.
23. Write very inexpensive eBooks about your niche and promote them on Amazon.
24. There are freelance websites where you can hire people to LIKE, DIGG, BOOKMARK or COMMENT on your stuff.
25. Make audio versions of your blogs and articles. Then post the podcasts on iTunes and also podcast directories.
26. Put your profile with all your links on sites like VisibleMe.com and LookUpPage.com
27. Ask people to bookmark your blog on their social media platform.
28. Make use of the various WordPress widgets and plugins on your blog site.
29. Go to Zimbio.com to register your blog and post your videos and articles.
30. Offer to be a guest blogger on other sites; it gives them good content and gives you backlinks.
31. Use RSS feeds on all your content.
32. Begin interaction with top gurus in your niche; eventually they may make comments on your content which can be golden for increasing your page ranking.
33. Become an active member of Yahoo Answers where you can give solutions to questions within your niche.
34. Become a member of The Backlinks Forum and make sure to put a link to your websites within your signature.
35. Be sure all your websites are listed in your profile for your social media sites, blog sites and forums.
36. Use syndicated news releases – VERY pricy though. That’s why I put this one at the very end of the list.
I hope you found this helpful. Happy backlinking to you!!