Core Features of Library Information Systems
- September 23, 2022
Before actual developing of library information software one should know the main functions of library system. Following are the core functions of a library information system.
Patron is a user of library material. Library material may consist of books, magazines, newspapers, recording, journals, computers and other item of libraries. Patron shall be responsible for any fees, fines and other charges. Patron can be internal, external and both. Patron can be temporary or regular member.
Cataloguing is to maintain the bibliographic item. A bibliographic item can be any information entity e.g. books, journal, magazine, newspaper, computer file etc. There are following types of catalog:
– Author catalog: sorted alphabetically according to the author or editor name
– Title catalog: sorted alphabetically according to the title of the entries
– Dictionary catalog: in which all entries (author, title, subject etc) are sorted alphabetical order
– Keyword catalog: sorted alphabetically according to the some system and subject keywords
– Systematic catalog: sorted according to some systematic subdivision of subjects
– Shelf list catalog: sorted in the same order as bibliographic items are shelved
Circulation is activity around lending of library material. A circulation is a key activity of a library. Key activities in circulation are:
– Checking out: Issue of library item
– Checking in: Return of library item
– Document delivery: Delivering of electronic articles and documents
– Reserve: Reserve the library item in advance in case of any special request
– Shelving: Place the library item on proper location
– Violation processing: Record and maintain Overdue, fines, lost and found etc
– Interlibrary loan: Maintain interlibrary circulation
Acquisition is selecting and purchasing of library items. Acquisitions may select vendor, price negotiation, ordering, selection, claiming, receiving, and payments.
An online public access catalog is used to search a library catalog to locate books, periodicals, journal, and other library material. Now a day’s web base OPAC is developed that can be accessible anywhere. Some library use OPAC instead of card catalog to save space and avoid paper work.
Source by Syed Ali Raza Kazmi
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.
Request a free quote
We offer professional SEO services that help websites increase their organic search score drastically in order to compete for the highest rankings even when it comes to highly competitive keywords.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
More from our blogSee all posts
- YouTube Backlink Service: Benefits and Risks March 10, 2023
- The Best Ways to Link Out to External Resources for Maximum SEO Benefits February 9, 2023
- what is the Keyphrase? December 16, 2022