What Is Web Hosting And How Is VPS Hosting Different From Traditional Shared Web Hosting?
September 23, 2022
The service in which space is allotted to customers on computer servers with 24/7 internet connectivity so that their websites become available online is known as web hosting. Servers are high-tech, powerful computers that have an utterly large hard drive, or an array of hard drives. Hosting providers also rent space to customers, so they can have an online “website presence.”
Things to Look for When Choosing a Web Host
When looking for a good web host, people should keep an eye out for the following services:
1. FTP access: Uploading content to a site becomes easier if FTP access is included in a hosting plan. Fortunately, FTP access is provided by a majority of web hosts.
2. Sufficient disk space: When looking for web hosts, people should determine how much web space they need. Usually, a disk space less than 10MB is required by new sites.
3. Reliability and speedy accessibility: When choosing a web, it should be ensured that a minimum uptime of 99% is guaranteed. Internet users can be quite impatient so the speed of access is necessary too so that web pages load rapidly.
4. Bandwidth/Traffic: The amount of bytes transferred by a site to the computer of a visitor when browsing through the site is known as the bandwidth. Thus, adequate bandwidth should also be included in the hosting plan that is being chosen and a 3GB monthly bandwidth is more than enough for a new website.
5. Email addresses: Email addresses should also be included in the hosting plan. Having email addresses on the domain is allowed by a majority of hosting companies. So, hosting plans, including email addresses should be chosen.
6. Technical Support: 24/7 technical support is generally provided throughout the year by a majority of web hosts, and people should make sure this is the case when choosing one.
What Is the Difference Between VPS Hosting and Shared Hosting?
No doubt, the most common type of budget web hosting is shared hosting. In this type of hosting, several websites are hosted on a single server, which is shared between them. Even the resources of the server are shared between the websites, and this is what makes it a cost-effective option.
On the other hand, as far as functionality is concerned, VPS hosting is the same as dedicated server hosting. It is as easily accessible, flexible, with administrative control and ability to install custom applications and software, as dedicated hosting. However, when it comes to the price, VPS hosting is far more affordable than dedicated hosting. Unlike shared hosting, the amount of server resources is dedicated to each user and their website. This is the reason it is considered more isolated than shared hosting, which is a good thing and there are no limitations for website owners.
Thus, when comparing and contrasting VPS with shared hosting, VPS is definitely the better choice even though its price might be a bit higher it is still cheaper than dedicated hosting. As for those newcomers in search of a web hosting provider, they should always keep the mentioned factors in mind when choosing one.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a set of optimization strategies and techniques for websites, blogs and web pages with the aim of improving organic positioning in search engines such as Google by generating traffic and digital authority.